Monday, June 8, 2026

I Love Boosters

 

If I had to describe the film "I Love Boosters" in three words, I would describe it as a campy political fashion film. 

Out of all the films I saw in May of 2026, I Love Boosters was my favorite experience in theaters. The film displays a love of fashion and community. It also has a very heavy focus on capitalism and its ties to the art world. Actually, that's not entirely true. The film really shows how capitalism takes art, makes it inaccessible, and uses it display wealth. The value of art should not rely on how much harm it causes the people making it, and yet that is exactly what it does. The art in question is of course the fashion. Of course we see other art pieces such as paintings, grand architectural design, and practical effects throughout the film. What I want to focus on however is the fashion.

I fell in love with the monochromatic outfits before I even saw the movie. The detailing goes as far as the makeup. It was absolutely incredible to see. The outfits were all extra, but that was the point. You don't get to have a film that displays wealth disparity through art without fashion being as dramatic as possible. Now that being said, fashion is a bit different in the real world. It does absolutely show wealth disparity in real life. Fashion, however, is a more quiet luxury.

[Spoilers ahead]

similar to the meat suits shown at the end of the film being simple in appearance but made of actual complex materials. That is how fashion exists in the real world. You see luxury fashion brands rely on looking plain in the real world. I know you're thinking, Lucy what about the logo brands? Brands like Gucci, Prada, or even Coach? I hate to break it to you, but those aren't real luxury brands. Yes, they are a luxury, but they are meant to be accessible to the middle class. Brands that are true high-end luxury are not meant to be accessible or even really admired by anyone other than the ultra-wealthy. Those brands exist to let the rich spend their money without looking expensive. Which feels insane but just stay with me. The ultra rich still want to display that they are othering themselves from us. They do not want that to be recognized easily though. If it's easy to see and acknowledge they are different from the working class, then it's harder for them to remain in control. They need to be able to appear like they're the common man, but they do not want to feel it. That's why the fashion for Demi Moore's character was toned down compared to the main cast. The main cast is among the working class, and expressing oneself through fashion is a luxury they have access to. They want to be able to display that luxury because it's something they value at their core, and it's something they believe others deserve access to.

There is no shortage of heavy theming in the film. There are many themes I'm sure I was unable to notice during my first watch. It's a movie that I can't wait to watch again and again in order to pick up something new every time. I hope "I Love Boosters" finds a larger audience with time because it is truly a film meant to be studied and dissected. It is not one to truly be understood with a one and done viewing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Invite

  Did you grow up watching parents wander through each day, miserable with their lives but unwilling to change it? The Invite may or may no...